PDA

View Full Version : Reasons for NOT driving your HSV?

Steve C
26-01-2013, 03:11 PM
After reading a humourous quote from a bloke on twitter who once owned a Porsche 996 gt3 RS:

"not putting miles on your GT3 is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she's more desirable to her next boyfriend."

It got me thinking of some of my own examples, for various reasons, from over the years of why I have not driven or put miles/kms om a car.

About 2 months after finishing my apprenticeship, in my infinite wisdom i decided i could afford to buy and run an BMW E36 M3....I couldnt! The best moments i can think of were:

Having to make packed lunches because i couldnt afford to buy subway or from the catering van that used to visit our workshop.

Driving around with a massive egg sticking out of the sidewall of one of the tyres in constant fear of having a blow out, not being able to afford a single new tyre! I eventually replaced it with a part worn budget tyre.

Using a gallon of my fathers lawnmower fuel to put in said M3 just so i could drive back to my place..because payday wasnt for another couple of days.

But I did own a hot hatch back a few years back (1999 Peugeot 306 Rallye, which is a stripped out lightweight version of the 306 Gti, and one of only 500 made) which I used as a daily driver but also as a faithful track hack which I drove all around the UK and Europe on Nurburgring and other track related adventures.

I feel a bit guilty admitting this, but I realised that by simply unplugging the electronic speedo plug located at the back of the gearbox I could cover thousands of motorway miles in that little car, using the rev counter as a reference to my speed. I could then casually plug back in the speedo plug before heading out on track. I'll just that add, that whislt the car was effectively clocked, it was absolutely meticulously serviced and maintained and is one of the strongest XU10J4RS lumps i have ever come accross, and the same engine now lives in my Peugeot 306 race car, which is in storage back in Scotland.

I guess karma caught up with me on that one though, as the car never made it to its 'next boyfriend' as i ended up putting it backwards into a tree.

Ok..so none of mine are examples of truely not wanting to drive a car to preserve it..but i swear I know i guy who bought a BMW E46 coupe to use 'on special occasions' and I can honestly say he never drove the bloody thing once! Not only that he left it sitting so long that he couldnt drive it anyway because the discs rusted, the brake calipers seized up, the car developed electrical gremlins which replacing the dead battery did not solve, and it ended up costing him a fortune just to sell it a year or two later.

So...Anyone going to put their hand up and admit to not driving their cars because they: Didnt want to dirty their floor mats/ damage their leather seats/ risk getting parking dings or uv damage to the paint/ or any other stupid reasons.

Or would anyone just like to share any stories where like me, they have bought a car with their heart and not their head and its almost forced them to financial ruin!

Note: The 996 GT3 RS the bloke tweeted about never made it to its next byfriend either..He wrote it off in a track day accident at Spa Francorchamps in Belgium....good lad.

GTS PAUL
26-01-2013, 03:54 PM
Love driving mine daily, couldn't imagine not wanting to drive it.

Strick
26-01-2013, 03:57 PM
Hi Steve, intersting story there.

is it your story or just one you copied from the net?

I might not drive mine to work anymore, but it sure coveres some miles. wheather that be on the track or a nice cruise with a club. Just like th above story i believe in enjoying the whist one has it!!!

cheers

gto461
26-01-2013, 07:33 PM
dont drive it in the rain or even if it looks like raining (dont want undercarriage to get muddy)...only drive it for the fun of it a few times a month and to experience the power and torque of a high powered v8, it is covered and garaged the rest of the time
as for "risk getting parking dings" i reckon most hsv owners on here wouldnt park it in a shopping centre anyway for that exact reason...i don't park the GTO out of me sight unless its at a car show...and i want to keep the kms to a minimum.
Just want it looking and going good for 25 more years or so till i am to old and feeble to push the twin plate clutch in, then will trade it for an auto, probably an HSV too :)

07GTS
26-01-2013, 09:11 PM
just got myself a little corolla to go to work and back in so the gts can keep the k's low and also to do more mods, it was my daily driver and i do notice parts starting to wear that i would like to stay good for a longer time also my work is 10min drive so its pointless doing such small back n forth every day in a decent car... but when the weekend comes jees its good to drive the gts again..

blown vy gts
27-01-2013, 08:44 AM
I'm the same as gto461 I won't drive in the rain I drive it probably 3 months of the year just to keep the km down. And definetly won't leave in a car park or out of my sight it's a shame but you cannot trust anyone these days. So 3/4 of the year it sits in the garage under a carcover well. But I do enjoy driving it when I do.

hotrodtwo
27-01-2013, 10:17 AM
I cannot see any point in not driving my Clubby as much as I can. I purchased it new and I drive it as much as I can ,who knows, a bloke could be dead tomorrow. So what I am saying play whislt you can.Who cares how many miles you put on the clock.They were meant to drive and to be shown of.
The only request from my son was,Dad don't put to many scratches on it lol.

Steve C
27-01-2013, 03:03 PM
Hi Steve, intersting story there.

is it your story or just one you copied from the net?

I might not drive mine to work anymore, but it sure coveres some miles. wheather that be on the track or a nice cruise with a club. Just like th above story i believe in enjoying the whist one has it!!!

cheers

My own story Strick.

Although on reflection it was more a pointless musing rather than a story.

Thanks for the replies..A mixed bag of responses.

I suppose I was just curious about how seriously people take owning their HSV's. Glad to hear plenty of folk use theirs as daily drivers.
I can understand people not wanting to drive their car when it has been optimised for track/drag use with seriously expensive components which have a limited life cycle.
I can also understand running a beater for the 10 minute work commute.

Personally, I walk past my girlfriends Barina and use the Maloo just to trundle down the local supermarket.

I mean its not like i'm running a ferrari 250gto or something.

I think my most shameless act of wanton vehicle wear and tear was two years ago. I turned down the keys to my fathers crude oil burning VW and drove a 2000km round trip in 18 hrs in my Mcoupe, to collect my sisters wedding cake from London. Total amout of fuel spent: approx $500. Total cost of wear and tear/ depreciation on a rare car...probably about twice as much as the fuel bill. Why did I do it....Just for the hell of it!

Each to their own though.

Steve C

Beaut ute
27-01-2013, 11:51 PM
So I got my vz maloo fully knowing I'd have not much money at the end of the week so I got a second job delivering pizzas..... in my maloo haha works out good though I get tips just because it's a v8 and people are shocked by a big rumbly v8 in their driveway :)

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

Audi
28-01-2013, 01:07 AM
I've always had my HSV's as daily drivers but delivering pizzas that's gold. I guess if it lets you keep the beast why not eh.

surfwagon
28-01-2013, 07:43 AM
I bought mine to enjoy driving so I drive it as much as is possible but because I live in the heart of Sydney I try not to use it just for errands and use my wifes Corolla.
I also ride my pushy to work (about 8 klms) for fitness except when its raining then I drive the senator.
Like has been said before why preserve the car for when you sell it so someone else can benefit from your lack of use.
I've usually kept most of my cars for around 8-10 years so on that basis I've got about 3-5years left with this one.
Any time there is any sort of distance to drive I always take the Senny.

220isenator
28-01-2013, 12:10 PM
I used to have a daily and keep the Senator in the garage for weekends and shows but have since gotten rid of the daily and use the Senator as a daily. It's gotten a few scratches on it now from car parks and such however, I plan on keeping this one for life so once we get a new car to fit the family it will be put in the shed and rebuilt over time. I love driving it and unless it was a Walky or W427 I wouldn't keep it locked up.

gto461
28-01-2013, 02:30 PM
i just like the feeling of anticipation that i get when its only driven once every few weeks, me daily is a vy ss but the gto is so much quicker with loads more torque so getting in it every now and then is a joy...i reckon if it was a daily i would get tired of it pretty quick

Angeldust
28-01-2013, 09:56 PM
mine gets driven.

i try to avoid rain/storms

every minute is joy.

Beaut ute
29-01-2013, 09:16 AM
But now I've got a bike to be my daily

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

Senator01
29-01-2013, 12:30 PM
Don't have one ... :)

TheRealShifter
29-01-2013, 12:59 PM
My Clubby is my family car. It's got chips and scratches in various places, the front bumper has been ripped off at the supermarket car park, the wheels have terrible gutter rash and has 3 baby/kid seats in the back. I'm constantly cleaning up spills on the back seat but that's ok by me because I don't plan on selling it, ever. It was our only car for a year and a half until I bought a small car to drive to work to save a bit of $$ on fuel, and because the wife needs the "family car" to get the kids around while I'm at work. We drive it anywhere and everywhere; to Brisbane and back, country drives on the weekend. It's a 2010 E2 and it has over 60,000 kms on it already. I love it.

5ltrs of fun
31-01-2013, 04:22 AM
I bring the calais out about once a month and love every second of it my daily is an old troopy its slow and rigid and has the turning circle of the QE2 but i guess thats what makes me appriciate the calais more oh and most months i need new tyres. Im keeping this one forever couldnt imagine not having it.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

Aussie Revhead
06-02-2013, 06:47 AM
i live with my mum (im 20).
my clubby sits at home most the time because i'm to scared someone will damage it.
i use my mum's ve ss only down side its purple :rolleyes:

also sucks my mum has a more powerful car then me :cry:

surfwagon
06-02-2013, 07:24 AM
i live with my mum (im 20).
my clubby sits at home most the time because i'm to scared someone will damage it.
i use my mum's ve ss only down side its purple :rolleyes:

also sucks my mum has a more powerful car then me :cry:

What model clubby do you own and what mods have been done to your mums car?

Aussie Revhead
07-02-2013, 01:07 AM
What model clubby do you own and what mods have been done to your mums car?

2007 ve ss no mods just rims bonnet scoop
mine is a stock VYII R8 CLUBSPORT will nothing but a little stereo :)

may have alittle less hp but feels faster :/

surfwagon
07-02-2013, 08:37 AM
2007 ve ss no mods just rims bonnet scoop
mine is a stock VYII R8 CLUBSPORT will nothing but a little stereo :)

may have alittle less hp but feels faster :/

Are they both manuals or auto.
The VY2 clubby has 285kw factory and the VE SS has 260auto and 270manual.
So its interesting that you say hers is more powerful, maybe has to do with gearing.
If yours is auto change your rear diff ratio to 3.73 (same as manual) which is better suited to the LS1 due to lack of low down torque you'll find it will really wake up those 285kw's.
VZ Clubby LS2 6.0L runs 3.46 as std, auto or manual.

moray066
07-02-2013, 09:01 AM
Are they both manuals or auto.
The VY2 clubby has 285kw factory and the VE SS has 260auto and 270manual.
So its interesting that you say hers is more powerful, maybe has to do with gearing.
If yours is auto change your rear diff ratio to 3.73 (same as manual) which is better suited to the LS1 due to lack of low down torque you'll find it will really wake up those 285kw's.
VZ Clubby LS2 6.0L runs 3.46 as std, auto or manual.

I don't think the 07 SS has AFM, so was rated at 270kw across the range. Weren't they were still running the L98, which is an awesome engine! Those things were keeping up with the LS2 powered VE HSV's. I remember reading an interesting motor article where they put the cars on a dyno, was about 5rwkw difference between SS and GTS. According the the article I read the SS was closer to 300fwkw then is was 270 and the GTS fell a few kw's shy of its claimed 307?

surfwagon
07-02-2013, 11:22 AM
I was under the belief that Holden activated the AFM in the autos as soon as the VE was released as lower fuel consumption for use of the AFM was part of their advertising for the new car.
No manuals as yet have the AFM?

moray066
07-02-2013, 01:27 PM
No, the AFM was introduced in the series 2 VE when Holden went from the awesome L98 engine which could not run AFM to the L76 which does, however with a "claimed" 10kw reduction in power, in reality it was a lot more as the L98 was pushing out more then the claimed 270kw. I've driven a series 1 and series 2 SS, I can say, not the same, the series 1 is a ball tearer, in auto form, completely stock, will turn the tyres from a standing start, without the need to "stall" it up, mash the pedal and hold on tight. The series 2 just doesn't have the "urge" the series 1 has. If you google it and read the reviews most people who updated were disappointed in the series 2, I was in the market for one at the time (2008), my brother has the series 1, I didn't buy one for the disappointing drive of the series 2. Worked out better for me as I got the Clubby a few years after. :)

Andrew_02
08-02-2013, 08:49 PM
I try not to do the short drive to work 4km just to sit the car in the sun all day
so i ride my bike, as for kms not bothered, look at the dearest aussie cars sold
being original is much more important that low kms.
The engine power bit, yes my WL 2006 6000cc had 292kws i guess the WM07 close
the AFM WM09 260kws im not sure it even had that much, thats why i changed to a real V8
(HSV)

GTS-213
08-02-2013, 10:26 PM
I dont drive the standard GTS much because it has 121,000km on the clock and it dosn't have a mark on it. The modified one has a real appatite for fuel so the cost of filling it up for long trips is a killer in the hip pocket which turns me off driving it more than four times a month. I have parked it at a shopping center on three ocassions and everytime I parked it in a remote spot miles away from the entrance and two of the times I had wankers specifically park right next to it even though there were 101 other spots closer to the entrance. I presonally think cars like ours attract wankers to park really close just to piss you off.

nonchalant
12-02-2013, 09:22 AM
I love the feeling of jumping in my car after Ive not driven it for a few days :)

Sokoza
28-02-2013, 12:12 PM
I parked my VP GTS up to keep the km's low to maximise value, but also the cost of registration and insurance just for a weekender is a bit outrageous. After not having it registered for 4 years I have deceided life is too short, I probably won't sell this car due to personal attachment so I am putting money into it to make it how I want it without butchering the beast and plan to have it on the road at xmas time this year for atleast 6 months before she gets more work done. It really is a shame when you love a car so much that you won't even drive it!

Steve C
01-03-2013, 09:29 AM
I parked my VP GTS up to keep the km's low to maximise value, but also the cost of registration and insurance just for a weekender is a bit outrageous. After not having it registered for 4 years I have deceided life is too short, I probably won't sell this car due to personal attachment so I am putting money into it to make it how I want it without butchering the beast and plan to have it on the road at xmas time this year for atleast 6 months before she gets more work done. It really is a shame when you love a car so much that you won't even drive it!

http://www.desismileys.com/smileys/desismileys_3254.gif (http://www.desismileys.com/)http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s255/pa55ion8/Smileys/smiley_driving.gif

whiteman69
10-03-2013, 09:23 AM
Bit off topic , but to all of you that dont drive your cars very often do you use any sort of fuel stabilizer? Fuel goes off after about a month so i was wondering if you have any problems when you jump in and go for a drive after being parked for a while and the octane has gone from the fuel?

white_lie
10-03-2013, 12:17 PM
Never put anything like that in my tank but I usually don't leave it sitting with a large amount in the tank.
Last time I drove it, it had 1/4 tank in it. Topped it up when I took it out.... no problems. But i'm not pushing the car hard like I would if I was racing it. If I was planning on taking it to the track, i'll generally use it a couple of days before, make sure everything is up to the task and to flush a tank of fuel thru it.

blown vy gts
11-03-2013, 11:15 AM
Never put anything like that in my tank but I usually don't leave it sitting with a large amount in the tank.
Last time I drove it, it had 1/4 tank in it. Topped it up when I took it out.... no problems. But i'm not pushing the car hard like I would if I was racing it. If I was planning on taking it to the track, i'll generally use it a couple of days before, make sure everything is up to the task and to flush a tank of fuel thru it.

I'm the same I have just enough in it to get me home when it sits there for so long. But have just enough to get me back to the servo to put fresh fuel in it. But also don't give it stick for a day or so to get the fresh fuel thru it.

hsv.286
11-03-2013, 11:37 AM
^^^^+2..! Last car show we went to there was a rep from sta-bil promoting their fuel stabilizer gear but I'm the same as others and run it low wherever possible and top it up 98 ultimate..:)

senator85
11-03-2013, 12:32 PM
I put some fuel stabilizer in mine a while back only because I left it for about 8 months or so and I stated to notice it was getting harder to start and idling not so good, so I pulled the fuel line off and pumped the fuel out put a fresh batch of fuel and stabilizer in it, seems ok now I done that sometime in November.