PDA

View Full Version : HSV Clubbie exhaust

Rich
11-04-2004, 07:19 PM
Hey there

I've recently bought an HSV VY2 Clubbie and although I am happy with the car generally, I find the exhaust note rather disappointing. I'm not looking for the painfully loud and thunderous roar some modified cars emit, just something subtle yet deep and menacing :twisted: . Perhaps 50% louder than standard. Not too worried about achieving performance gains with this mod - though clearly it wouldn't hurt. I presume that just a muffler, rather than a full system, will do the job.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to specific exhausts that fit the bill, or perhaps performance parts suppliers in the Gold Coast / Brisbane region that have been helpful to you?

Cheers,
Rich

SirHSV
13-04-2004, 07:13 PM
Welcome,
I would love to help but Im from Vic so I cannot help you with the locating dealer part, but I can suggest that you try changing the Mufflers to less restrictive ones then going 2 1/2 inch from the muffler to the rear dual, make sure its mandrel bent pipe and stainless steel also, that should get the sound deeper and sound just right. If the muffler shop starts telling you go full exhaust then great but it will cost you, but if you are just after a sound tune then Muffler back could do the trick.
Im suggesting muffler back first to see what that will do to the sound, if your still not happy then you can easily go the w**** system and do not have to throw the muffler back unit out. If you do go the 2 1/2 mufflers they will have to add a transition piece before the muffler so that you can fit the 2 1/2 inch muffler on the existing pipe work.
Good luck and let us know how you go???

Rich
14-06-2004, 06:03 PM
Ended up buying a Hi-Tech catback stainless steel exhaust from Apex Active Motorsport on the Gold Coast. They also sold me a Pipercross air filter.

Apex reckon on about a 25kw improvement from the two mods together, and after having it back for a week, I reckon that's a conservative estimate. Throttle response is significantly faster and snappier, and its noticeable quicker.

Sounds glorious, exactly the balance I was after.

RedR8
15-06-2004, 07:21 AM
The most common mod a lot of people do (on HSV's) is a dual 2.5" from the cats back with some high flow mufflers. You also want an x-pipe or merge pipe just after the cats. NO rear resonator is required. Mandrel bent is the way to go too, oherwise you are defeating the purpose of getting a new, less restrictive exhaust.

A lot of Holden owners will tell you to change your extractors too. This is not really required as the factory HSV ones are way better than stock Holden ones....however....they still aren't quite as good as aftermarket ones like Pacemakers, etc. If you have the $$$, it will make a difference though.

I can recommend Noyzworx on Brisbanes' Northside (Lawnton). It is a bit of a drive from the GC, but they do good work.

PM if you want more info.

Rich
15-06-2004, 08:02 AM
Yes, the Hi-tech catback is indeed 2.5" mandrel bent with a high-flow muffler, just like you describe. Hi-Tech do extractors and cats too, but are quite expensive and I'm quite happy with the sound / kw increase for the moment!

Thanks for the info though, if I decide to do some more work in due course, then I'll look Noyzworx up.

HSVkidUSA
15-06-2004, 08:51 AM
i'm not sure you've heard the name before, but FLOWMASTER makes very nice sounding mufflers. and i think they do foreign cars and custom exhaust jobs without exhausting your wallet(tee hee :lol: ) you can go on their website

www.flowmastermufflers.com

and you could give them a call or order from the GM section

you can get this one if you want to take a look

http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/cgi-bin/flowmaster/53533-12.html

or

http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/cgi-bin/flowmaster/search.html

for the source search

you cant also hear a sample of what it sounds like too

-HSV-
20-06-2004, 11:01 AM
could be one costly call over the ocean :P

how did you get along the with exhaust? got one fitted yet?

edit: if you still havnt got one yet, remember to get a system without the rear resonators. you'll find that you get a much more gruntier note from your car :) (and will hear that pop pop sound like a V8 supercar when the revs are dropping ;) )

Rich
20-06-2004, 03:58 PM
Very happy with my exhaust - sounds perfect... not too loud, not droney at all, but deep & menacing at low revs and a metallic-edged growl at high revs. Nice pop pop sound on dropping revs, as you say! :twisted:

Throttle response is much improved, and the car feels noticeably faster.

Here is a link to the manufacturer - Hi-tech:
http://www.hitechmufflers.com.au/about.html

-HSV-
20-06-2004, 04:50 PM
so what system did you get? twin 2.5" no resonators?

Rich
20-06-2004, 05:17 PM
Yep, twin 2.5" mandrel-bent cat-back exhaust with no resonators, in stainless steel, with high-low muffler with twin tips. The twin tips are slightly larger than then standard ones, but basically follow the look of the standard tips.

-HSV-
21-06-2004, 09:56 AM
Yep, twin 2.5" mandrel-bent cat-back exhaust with no resonators, in stainless steel, with high-low muffler with twin tips. The twin tips are slightly larger than then standard ones, but basically follow the look of the standard tips.nice, sounds like what everyone's gettin on their genIII's :)