PDA

View Full Version : Considering a Maloo, novated leases, etc

kavo
03-12-2012, 10:24 AM
Hi,

I am looking at getting a new ute and would like to ask some questions.

Is anyone on a novated lease with their maloo or HSV, is it working out cheaper than running it yourself? (I know leases often do but don't know anyone with a V8, only diesels and 6's)

Can you get the sailplane only (no hard lid) on the standard maloo? (I need to carry bikes, etc)

What is the real world fuel economy? does it hurt?

What is the resale like? (specifically, would it be higher than the residual due on a 4yr lease?) is the resale better than holden (sv6, ss, ss-v)?

Some quick quotes on justcar and nrma returned insuance prices of $1700-$1900 is this reasonable for a 21yr old with a HSV?

Is EDI and Bi-modal worth the extra coin?

Any help would be appreciated.

Atomic maloo 01
03-12-2012, 11:31 AM
That insurance quote is very good for a 21 year old also there is a new maloo out for 58k but doesn't come with sailplane or hard lid perfect for carrying bikes

kavo
03-12-2012, 12:00 PM
That insurance quote is very good for a 21 year old also there is a new maloo out for 58k but doesn't come with sailplane or hard lid perfect for carrying bikes

Yeah that's the one I have been looking at. I'm just wondering with the optional sailplane does it have to be added in conjunction with the hardlid or can you get the sailplane and just the soft cover?

kavo
04-12-2012, 09:41 AM
Also do the Active Select auto Maloo's/HSV's feature the active fuel management (AFM) that the holden VE V8's have? obviously buying a maloo fuel efficiency isn't the highest priority but I don't see the problem with saving fuel on the highway cruising

dannym81
05-12-2012, 11:31 AM
My blown e3 maloo is more economical than my mates ss with afm. We compared the other day with similar driving distance but I give mine a harder time. He was 11.8l/100km and mine was 11.4l/100km. We were both very surprised.

Not too sure on leases. I have mine on my home loan and claim 100% of it.

kavo
05-12-2012, 01:25 PM
Wow thats awesome! I'm starting to think that now, as a 21yr old straight out of uni I may be better off purchasing a 1 or 2 year old maloo, and get rid of a fair chunk of depreciation, which may work better for me in leasing if I can get a good deal

dannym81
06-12-2012, 07:22 PM
Nice car straight out of uni. Beats my Mitsubishi cordia

kavo
06-12-2012, 08:44 PM
Nice car straight out of uni. Beats my Mitsubishi cordia
Well I've been driving my ST204 Celica since yr12, and while it was a nice car for a 17yr old I always wanted/needed a ute. And Dad always says, you start off with shit you end up with shit :p Im also justifying it with resale is greater than a holden sv6/ss/ss-v, I hope.

LS3 050
06-12-2012, 10:35 PM
Im also justifying it with resale is greater than a holden sv6/ss/ss-v, I hope.

I hate to disappoint you, but resale will be no better off than those models - HSV's being mass produced these days don't hold any extra value unless it is a "special edition" To make matters worse the new VF is released early next year which will be another hit to resale value of any recent or "near new" model now

kavo
06-12-2012, 10:48 PM
I hate to disappoint you, but resale will be no better off than those models - HSV's being mass produced these days don't hold any extra value unless it is a "special edition" To make matters worse the new VF is released early next year which will be another hit to resale value of any recent or "near new" model now
Dang! So is the HSV F-series actually being released alongside the holden VF? I remember reading somewhere that the holden would be released early 2013, but the hsv wouldn't be until 2014. Which seems utterly stupid but I've never had anything to do with hsv/holden

LS3 050
06-12-2012, 11:02 PM
Dang! So is the HSV F-series actually being released alongside the holden VF? I remember reading somewhere that the holden would be released early 2013, but the hsv wouldn't be until 2014. Which seems utterly stupid but I've never had anything to do with hsv/holden

Might be time to do a bit of reading, you can start here http://www.hsvforum.com.au/showthread.php?10845-VF-news-supercharged!

kavo
07-12-2012, 09:31 AM
Might be time to do a bit of reading, you can start here http://www.hsvforum.com.au/showthread.php?10845-VF-news-supercharged!

Thanks for the link, I have done quite a bit of reading already but I havent read this yet

Nath
30-04-2013, 02:38 PM
I understand im bumping an old thread, but may bring some light to people searching for the answers like I recently was..

Is anyone on a novated lease with their maloo or HSV, is it working out cheaper than running it yourself? (I know leases often do but don't know anyone with a V8, only diesels and 6's)

I was advised to take a chattel mortgage from my accountant over any other borrowing method, based on the facts - I am paid a car allowance on top of my salary and best way to utilise the tax breaks.

Can you get the sailplane only (no hard lid) on the standard maloo? (I need to carry bikes, etc)

No, the sailplane is only offered with the R8 hardlid and can only be installed at time of build (quote: dealer). I opted for the Holden genuine twin hump hardlid ($2800 fitted) which is the HSVi version - The remote central locking works like with the R8 version.

What is the real world fuel economy? does it hurt?

After 1000km's my onboard comp It's saying 15.8litres - I have been using the rev range between 1k-5k to run the rings in. I have gone through 2.5 tanks in 1000km's

Some quick quotes on justcar and nrma returned insurance prices of $1700-$1900 is this reasonable for a 21yr old with a HSV?

Pretty damn good on a $55k car - I'm 29, good history, no claims 5 years, 2 mortgages and paying $1200.

Also do the Active Select auto Maloo's/HSV's feature the active fuel management (AFM) that the holden VE V8's have? obviously buying a maloo fuel efficiency isn't the highest priority but I don't see the problem with saving fuel on the highway cruising

No, at 100km/h on freeway I have seen petrol sitting around high 8's to low 9's but as the above, I have been driving the car under different loads.

Soooooo, did you end up with one? There are a couple of 2012 MY12.5 R8's on carsales now for $60-62k!