PDA

View Full Version : 400kw highway patrol car? A sign of things to come maybe?

HSVGTS125
28-11-2012, 10:49 AM
400kw Highway Patrol car maybe a sign for future models? An FPV RSPEC for the cops

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/55488/400kw-fpv-gt-rspec-joins-nsw-police-fleet

07GTS
28-11-2012, 07:55 PM
reminds me of when they had the GTO in melbourne, GTO still looks better...

Senator01
28-11-2012, 08:42 PM
Waste of money if all it is going to do is ... 'However, the Police RSPEC is mainly intended as a public liaison and awareness tool to be used at motorsport events across the state.'

Pickles
29-11-2012, 09:01 AM
Waste of money if all it is going to do is ... 'However, the Police RSPEC is mainly intended as a public liaison and awareness tool to be used at motorsport events across the state.'
+1..a TOTAL waste of public dollars.....so a few of the boys in blue can have a bit of fun......so when one of them "brakes traction", will the driver lose his license, & the car impounded, which is what happens in Vic.
Yep,,,a TOTAL waste......still, I suppose they've gotta spend speed camera revenue somehow haven't they.....it'd be too much to ask to put some of it to better roads, & fix a few of the m***ive pot ****s which seem to be more & more common.
And, Gov Depts are ALWAYS talking about being short of dollars....yeah right.
Cheers, Pickles.

iCat
29-11-2012, 10:23 AM
+2 - how can they justify this? ridiculous. i want my bit of tax back that helped finance that.

Stezzy27
29-11-2012, 10:57 AM
Agreed total waste of tax payer dollars I don't think any public liaising in a overpriced cop car is going to repair the divide between the police and car enthusiasts community. I say car enthusiasts because we all seemed to lumped in the hoon definition even if we aren't doing single leggers in he Main Street in our mums VN

HSVGTS125
29-11-2012, 11:26 AM
I cant help feeling bias here. If this was an HSV it'd be big news of 400kw but since its an FPV its a total waste of tax payers money.

I like it, mainly because it could possibly be a future output for FPV. Some may say that 400kw is ridiculous but so was 300kw when the benchmark was 220. And im sure everyone liked the W427 power.

Police have used the GTO, Monaro, TRD, F6, SS, XR8 and XR6T so far so I cant see the problem adding a 400kw FPV. Holden were involved with police in the 90s using the SS commodores on the drag strip, remember operation drag??? That was well accepted.. Lighten up boys

iCat
29-11-2012, 11:41 AM
i think the issue with this one is that it is going to be used purely for promotional purposes - public liaison and awareness at motorsport events - it's not going to be used on the roads at all.

and yeah, i'd still be the same level of crankiness at the waste of my taxes whether it be ford or holden.

HSVGTS125
29-11-2012, 11:48 AM
Again bias.... its still road registered so it will have some road presence.
its 1 car, not a fleet. It COULD create awareness and who knows it could save 1 life. That isnt a waste

Pickles
29-11-2012, 12:33 PM
No "Bias" from me.....don't care whether it's a Ford, Holden, Mercedes, Subaru etc....there are better ways to get the message across.
Vic Police used a GTO for a while.....achieved absolutely nothing....except some very good free advertising for HSV...
Cheers, Pickles.

gto461
29-11-2012, 12:53 PM
+2 - how can they justify this? ridiculous. i want my bit of tax back that helped finance that.
ha me too... if only we could decide on where the tax we pay goes to...

HSVGTS125
29-11-2012, 01:35 PM
Vic Police used a GTO for a while.....achieved absolutely nothing....except some very good free advertising for HSV...
Cheers, Pickles.

I disagree simply on the grounds that you and others noticed it so its done its job and those cars have all been discussion points on numerous forums and had articles in the newspaper creating awareness about speed, fatalities and any other road going presence needed.
Like it or not HSV, Holden, FPV, Ford, Subaru, TRD and whatever other performance brand has become a police car has escalated the point the Police are out there. Most also like the fact that these cars are offered for sale soon afterwards.
The police HSV SVR was a topic on this very forum and no one said its a waste of tax payers money.
There are worse ways of spending our money, road awareness isn't one of them. There are too many fatalaties on roads for numerous reasons and having high powered cars appeals to the enthusiast, rev head, performance nut and the general public in some way or another. If they use undercover cars they arent doing enough. If they use high powered cars full of signage they're wastoing tax payers money.
A bit of damned if you do, damned if you dont!

Pickles
29-11-2012, 03:25 PM
I disagree simply on the grounds that you and others noticed it so its done its job and those cars have all been discussion points on numerous forums and had articles in the newspaper creating awareness about speed, fatalities and any other road going presence needed.
Like it or not HSV, Holden, FPV, Ford, Subaru, TRD and whatever other performance brand has become a police car has escalated the point the Police are out there. Most also like the fact that these cars are offered for sale soon afterwards.
The police HSV SVR was a topic on this very forum and no one said its a waste of tax payers money.
There are worse ways of spending our money, road awareness isn't one of them. There are too many fatalaties on roads for numerous reasons and having high powered cars appeals to the enthusiast, rev head, performance nut and the general public in some way or another. If they use undercover cars they arent doing enough. If they use high powered cars full of signage they're wastoing tax payers money.
A bit of damned if you do, damned if you dont!
As usual mate, we disagree....but it's a free country.
Carl, I don't understand your second para....could you please explain.
Also 2nd last para...very few accidents involve the sort of car we're talking about....VERY few. The average driver wouldn't notice the difference, between this & an "ordinary" car & the lunatic/hoon/careless bufoons that we see everyday on the road couldn't give a stuff. On the other hand, most owners of these cars respect them, & other drivers....most of the idiots I see on the road are not driving this sort of car.....plenty of older Holdens, Toyotas, Fords...whatever...but I can't remember the last time I saw stupid driving in a car like this.
And this ain't about the Copper on the job.....it's about the guys that make the rules....they've got NO idea....Speed speed speed, is all they talk about....It's NOT the real problem.....it's ATTITUDE....as I've mentioned to you before, I knew Brock pretty well....he had a m***ive involvement in road safety, we were talking about road safety one day, and he said to me, "Martin this speed, speed, speed, is not the REAL problem, it's a "by product" of the REAL problem, which is ATTITUDE, & unless the driver has his brain in gear before he gets behind the wheel, NOTHING will make any difference".
That is the real issue, IMHO putting trick cars in Police "uniform", ain't gonna make a scrap of difference...it's just a "GIMMICK".
Road awareness?....YES...all for it....& there could be two cars on the road for the price of this one....so there's road awareness doubled ...as far as this car's concerned.
Ummarked cars?..Should be more of them....neither this new "gimmick" car, or any visible Police car will catch many hoons, who slow down if they see a Police vehicle. Get more unmarked cars out there...catch the tailgaters, the "right lane drivers", phone users, dangerous drivers etc etc....yeah, I'm all for that...BIG TIME, but this car ain't gonna make no difference at all to that.
Just gotta add this....the manufacturers of course, love getting their cars out there.....HSV made a m***ive deal & hoo-ha about the GTO when the Vic Police had theirs....photos of it everyewher....I guess FPV will do the same...if they don't, they're very silly....it's probably the best advertising they'll ever get.
Cheers, Pickles.

Stezzy27
29-11-2012, 04:36 PM
Couldn't put it into words myself but you've hit the nail on the head pickles

HSVGTS125
29-11-2012, 06:28 PM
The second para i was referring to people relate to performance cars as speed. police performance cars makes a statement a low cost and is affective on the road. Unmarked cars are not impact cars like this. These deter speeding whereas unmarked cars just catch u. as u know the police are a public service and as such they don't pay full price for their cars. Like it or not they service a purpose even if most see it nothing more than public interest. Not speaking ill of the deceased here but using an extremely talented driver who died in a controlled environment during a high speed race doesn't reinforce speed not killing.
I like it and any other hipo police car.

Senator01
29-11-2012, 08:20 PM
I cant help feeling bias here. If this was an HSV it'd be big news of 400kw but since its an FPV its a total waste of tax payers money.

Seems like you have the bias ... I couldn't give a flying F^^^ if it was a Renault, Maserati, Ford, Holden, or P76 ... the fact that a Law Enforcement agency has paid taxpayer/Revenue gained dollars on a very expensive Law Enforcement tool to only use it for PR exercises shows a lack of thought AND responsibility ... IF they use it for its intended purpose then great .. if I get caught by it then serves me right ...

Oh ... and get off your .. 'don't pick on Ford' horse ...

HSVGTS125
29-11-2012, 08:40 PM
who the f%ck bought up picking on Fords? I like australian cars, not imported ones (most anyway). So if I like it I defend it if I think its a good idea.
Everyone has an opinion and I voice mine when I want. I started the thread so I contribute. If you dont like it Senator01 then get off this thread and read something else.

My view on bias is exactly that, anything that comes from the blue oval is generally a bad idea, if HSV, Holden or something european does something, it's amazing.

I have had over 20 factory "performance" cars that have ALL been HSV or late model Holden SS, I am far from biased towards Ford cars. I still have an SS and like it.
My reasoning behind liking this is because it is a performance police car with decent HP and I happen to like factory horsepower over the modified scene. This one (to me) serves a purpose. I have lost people close to me in my *****er days from road accidents and I do like police advertising any way they can that doesnt mean unmarked cars, hidden cameras etc just to nab the people who slightly go over the limit.

Senator01
29-11-2012, 08:57 PM

You finished??

My POINT was .. it's great that the police spend money on another Highway patrol vehicle ... However, rather than show it off as a polished trophy, how about putting it to good use and stop people like those close to you getting killed, rather than just for photo shoots.

And great that it has 400kw ... awesome. that it's a Ford is of no consequence to me. However your statement earlier suggested that because it was a Ford it was coping undue criticism. I think that totally incorrect ... the criticism comes from the fact it is a showpiece rather than a workhorse.

And I am glad you have had '20' odd performance cars ... well done, but do I care ... nope. And that is my opinion ..

220isenator
29-11-2012, 09:00 PM
Geez this is a heated topic.

There have been high performance PR police cars for as long as I can remember. They use these for community relations and they draw attention to the police at events and get the public talking to police. This is a proven way for police to engage with the public all over the world. The cost is miniscule since they borrow the cars from the manufacturer and don't actually buy them.

http://www.exoticspotter.com/blog/2012/10/01/exotic-police-cars/

I have seen plenty at drag meets, circuit racing events, car shows and in tourists spots. Every time there has been a crowd of people, most of which generally wouldn't talk to police, gathered around having a chat. It brings a social aspect that the general public and police appreciate. If some people don't see this then they have obviously not been to one of these events.

To bring Peter Brock into this is ridiculous as he was all for Police promotional vehicles and attended plenty of events which involved these cars. A lot of these events were to promote the .05 message but still featured promo vehicles that were high powered for their day.

Seems most people on here are upset that it's a FPV this time and as Carl pointed out, nobody was complaining when they had the GTS spec Clubsports last year, and there was five of them.

Here's another one they just had delivered. Are people upset about this as well? It will only be used as promotion around inner Sydney tourist spots and costs $201,000.

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/4C0552BD3BA9CF3FCA257A7F002502E8/$file/Porsche_Panamera_large_2.jpg?OpenElement

Senator01
29-11-2012, 10:44 PM
Are people upset about this as well? It will only be used as promotion around inner Sydney tourist spots and costs $201,000.

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/4C0552BD3BA9CF3FCA257A7F002502E8/$file/Porsche_Panamera_large_2.jpg?OpenElement

Sorry Frank ... but yes. There is about 3 or 4 additional cars that could have been bought to put a visual presence on our roads. Why does it take a high performance cop car to act as a PR tool? Just be more approachable and open ... that's free?

220isenator
30-11-2012, 12:14 AM
There are many different sides to policing and PR is a major part. Money has to be spent on policemen going to schools, being on tv advertisements, spending time with juvenile offenders and target groups of society.

Really it doesn't cost anything. Cars are generally donated and the manpower is already ***igned to community policing. This is completely separate to highway patrol or general duty police. The officers are not beat officers, only community policing officers therefore, would not be patrolling anyway.

If these initiatives spread the message that police are there to help and can promote safer road use to only a few people every month then I believe it is much more valuable than one other patrol car handing out fines.

Do you think people would approach a police officer parked at the side of the road doing speed checks? No, but at a car meet they can get a message across without giving defects or fines...

http://www.carsguide.com.au/images/uploads/ford-falcon-gt-police-w.jpg

I guess this article explains it better than I could...

http://www.caradvice.com.au/1560/lotus-exige-nsw-police-car/

Aqua8
30-11-2012, 09:14 AM

http://www.caradvice.com.au/1560/lotus-exige-nsw-police-car/[/QUOTE]

My understanding is that cars such as FPV GT and Porsche are donated / loaned to NSW Police. The car companies get publicity that would cost a fortune otherwise.

Some may recall the 10 VZ Monaros the Qld Police had. When sold via auction they brought around $50k. They would be an interesting vehicle to hold and value could be interesting in years to come.

http://www.nextcar.com.au/n.holden.monaro.qld.police.05nov.html

That FPV GT R Spec # 150 / 150 will no doubt attract strong interest at auction one day

Pickles
30-11-2012, 09:17 AM
Geez this is a heated topic.

There have been high performance PR police cars for as long as I can remember. They use these for community relations and they draw attention to the police at events and get the public talking to police. This is a proven way for police to engage with the public all over the world. The cost is miniscule since they borrow the cars from the manufacturer and don't actually buy them.

http://www.exoticspotter.com/blog/2012/10/01/exotic-police-cars/

I have seen plenty at drag meets, circuit racing events, car shows and in tourists spots. Every time there has been a crowd of people, most of which generally wouldn't talk to police, gathered around having a chat. It brings a social aspect that the general public and police appreciate. If some people don't see this then they have obviously not been to one of these events.

To bring Peter Brock into this is ridiculous as he was all for Police promotional vehicles and attended plenty of events which involved these cars. A lot of these events were to promote the .05 message but still featured promo vehicles that were high powered for their day.

Seems most people on here are upset that it's a FPV this time and as Carl pointed out, nobody was complaining when they had the GTS spec Clubsports last year, and there was five of them.

Here's another one they just had delivered. Are people upset about this as well? It will only be used as promotion around inner Sydney tourist spots and costs $201,000.

"Heated Topic"?...Maybe, but it only gets that way because people like you quote other people's comments as being "ridiculous". I certainly do not agree with you, but I do respect your, & everybody elses opinion....simply because I don't agree..I don't think they're "ridiculous".
As far as PB is concerned, yes he had a huge impact with his 05 message..and he "got" to a lot of people, because of who he was, & the sort of person he was....a totally different situation to the subject of this post. Was he seen around high powered cars?..Of course he was..it was his job. However, he did NOT use these cars to get the message across. I can remember a time in the eighties when he was visiting schools etc....and he drove a Camira! If you read my post, you will note that I mentioned Brock's name ONLY in the context of "Attitude". What do you think about the importance of attitude?...I actually think that "attitude" is the major problem on the roads today....?
Cheers, Pickles.

moray066
30-11-2012, 09:40 AM
Well the "heated" part of this topic is ppl "slagging" the cops, using the car as an excuse stating, "waste of tax payers money"
Well the cars are donated, so it costs the tax payer $0! Where's the waste??
Yes it is used as a publicity tool, but as you stated Pickles, the average punter wouldn't know the difference so when they see this car driving in the street, they won't know it's a publicity car, they will see it as a fully marked police vehicle! The benefits of it as events has already been stated so no need to repeat.
FYI, the Porsche and other vehicles mentioned were also donated

Pickles
30-11-2012, 09:51 AM
Well the "heated" part of this topic is ppl "slagging" the cops, using the car as an excuse stating, "waste of tax payers money"
Well the cars are donated, so it costs the tax payer $0! Where's the waste??
Yes it is used as a publicity tool, but as you stated Pickles, the average punter wouldn't know the difference so when they see this car driving in the street, they won't know it's a publicity car, they will see it as a fully marked police vehicle! The benefits of it as events has already been stated so no need to repeat.
FYI, the Porsche and other vehicles mentioned were also donated
No-one is "slagging" the cops....well not on the level of the guys that'd be driving this car, or any of the other "coppers" that we see "on the beat" etc. However, the guys that make the rules, commisioners, Polies....and all those other "executive" types....well, that's another matter.
I never thought about the cars being donated....but I guess it makes sense....to the manufacturer for sure....like I said.....HSV made plenty of "Press" about it.
Cheers, Pickles.

iCat
30-11-2012, 09:57 AM
never realised they were donated either, so i'm cool with that and retract my earlier statement :)

220isenator
30-11-2012, 06:39 PM
"Heated Topic"?...Maybe, but it only gets that way because people like you quote other people's comments as being "ridiculous". I certainly do not agree with you, but I do respect your, & everybody elses opinion....simply because I don't agree..I don't think they're "ridiculous".
As far as PB is concerned, yes he had a huge impact with his 05 message..and he "got" to a lot of people, because of who he was, & the sort of person he was....a totally different situation to the subject of this post. Was he seen around high powered cars?..Of course he was..it was his job. However, he did NOT use these cars to get the message across. I can remember a time in the eighties when he was visiting schools etc....and he drove a Camira! If you read my post, you will note that I mentioned Brock's name ONLY in the context of "Attitude". What do you think about the importance of attitude?...I actually think that "attitude" is the major problem on the roads today....?
Cheers, Pickles.

I agree with you and Brock on peoples attitudes on the road. The police and Peter Brock realised this and therefore, engage with road users on a personal level. They cannot do this simply by driving on the streets giving out fines. Statistics have shown this does not work.

My comment on your use of a conversation you had with Peter Brock being ridiculous is that you have taken that conversation and used it in a way it was not meant. There was no one that realised the value of public relations on safe road use than Peter. I highly doubt he would have thought this was a negative thing.

Pickles
30-11-2012, 07:21 PM
I agree with you and Brock on peoples attitudes on the road. The police and Peter Brock realised this and therefore, engage with road users on a personal level. They cannot do this simply by driving on the streets giving out fines. Statistics have shown this does not work.

My comment on your use of a conversation you had with Peter Brock being ridiculous is that you have taken that conversation and used it in a way it was not meant. There was no one that realised the value of public relations on safe road use than Peter. I highly doubt he would have thought this was a negative thing.

Not a problem.....but, Brock...."in a way it was not meant"....how did I do that?....it was only mentioned in relation to his opinion as to the major problem, which in his opinion was..... "attitude"....as I said in my post.
Look, let's be sensible here, it's NOT a negative thing (RSpec 400), but I'm SICK & TIRED.....REALLY REALLY sick & tired of hearing the Police & Polies going on...and on....and on... about speed, speed, speed....geez that's about all they talk about when they talk about road trauma.
I'm a road user....have been for years.....I KNOW that speed is not the major issue. How do I know that?....'Cause I see it (attitude issues) on the road, every day I drive!
And guess what the latest "trick" is, in Victoria?.....Lurking behind railway level crossing gates & booking people who simply didn't wait until the boom gate lights stopped flashing.....3 demerits & around a $250 fine?.....a REALLY good money spinner.....Now I know people have been killed in level crossing incidents.....but far far far more have been killed in attitude related incidents, which the Police cannot detect if they're doing this sort of stuff.
Cheers, Pickles.

RedHotMike
30-11-2012, 07:41 PM

http://www.caradvice.com.au/1560/lotus-exige-nsw-police-car/

My understanding is that cars such as FPV GT and Porsche are donated / loaned to NSW Police. The car companies get publicity that would cost a fortune otherwise.

Some may recall the 10 VZ Monaros the Qld Police had. When sold via auction they brought around $50k. They would be an interesting vehicle to hold and value could be interesting in years to come.

http://www.nextcar.com.au/n.holden.monaro.qld.police.05nov.html

That FPV GT R Spec # 150 / 150 will no doubt attract strong interest at auction one day

Thanks - saved me a lot of typing :). ^^^ that one.

Red Hot Mike

220isenator
30-11-2012, 07:46 PM
That is true. Living in WA for many years I have seen all sorts of dirty tactics used by police to give out silly revenue raising tickets. I actually got booked for the same thing you mentioned about 12 years ago on a bike. Boom gates were nine tenths up. :lol: I also got done for not indicating for long enough when changing lanes on the freeway at 4am when there was no one else around, except for a cop on a bike. Apparently 4 clicks isn't enough. Could have gotten away with a warning but just couldn't hold back on telling him what I thought.

Getting of track now anyway but hopefully they can use this as a proper tool to engage the public in learning the correct attitude. There also needs to be a lot of money spent on improving the roads as that is also a much bigger factor than speed in most accidents.

bosscocky
01-12-2012, 10:14 AM
reminds me of when they had the GTO in melbourne, GTO still looks better...

Thanks 07GTS....I own the above HSVGTO....I wonder if the Vic. Police want to buy it back for their museum ??????

Bludog
01-12-2012, 01:16 PM
There's an unmarked Blown Alto Clubbie been getting around the Hunter Valley the last couple of months. It's even been lowered. Looks good and getting plenty work