PDA

View Full Version : load ticking from left bank

go fast
15-09-2012, 04:58 PM
i was pulling some high revs the other day in 2nd and then i herd i high level ticking noise, i pulled over and th car was idling horribly and then stopped i started it and drive home not far from home,got into the garage and opened the bonnet with still idiling and the loud ticking noise sounds like coming from the left bank when you are in front of car,it sounds like it is missing on one cylinder,idling erratically then the motor stops,any suggestion on what it my be would be great, im counting on it being a broken valve spring,what do you all think, ill take the rocker cover off and have a look,god i hope it a spring and nothing serious cross my fingers,all answer would be conciderd. thanks rob:(:(::confused::confused:

VX15ANNIV
15-09-2012, 05:08 PM
I would hope it is a broken rocker because if it is a spring I think?? It could drop the valve.

go fast
15-09-2012, 06:03 PM
just started it up again and it is like it is not runnong on all cylinders, when it motor goes to stop,i give it more gas and it seems to keep the motor going, but that load ticking noise is still there,and then it will idel and then will stall,can smell fuel.

white_lie
15-09-2012, 07:36 PM
Stop starting the thing!
For the sake of 5 minutes, whip a rocker cover off and have a look.

Could be anything broken in there - spring or rocker? If you can't see anything it could be a broken lifter, bent pushrod, who knows?

But it's pretty hard to diagnose something like this over the net.

07GTS
15-09-2012, 08:02 PM
check for bent pushrod maby...

go fast
16-09-2012, 07:44 AM
broken valve spring intake valve num-1 cylinder,how to go about that with out taking head off?:confused::confused:

richo7502000
16-09-2012, 07:54 AM
broken valve spring intake valve num-1 cylinder,how to go about that with out taking head off?:confused::confused:

You can get adaptors that allow you to use compressed air Via the sparkplug **** to keep the valves up while you undo the Collets from the valve springs. You need to turn the motor by hand till that cylinder has both valves closed, screw the adaptor in pump air in, undo the Collets using a Valve compressor (obviously G-clamp type WONT work) swap the spring out, then put it back together etc....
Its fiddly but not too bad to do... Supercheap may have the adaptors even???

go fast
16-09-2012, 11:21 AM
would you know if holden parts service would sell just one spring or would i have to buy all sixteen springs,they look like high grade springs for the 215kw stroker motor, they are painted or something,i had a calais a while ago with a 304 165kw,and the spring on that were totally different they were not painted like these ones,

white_lie
16-09-2012, 12:31 PM
I'd be changing them all out. If one has snapped, who's to say another won't let go next week?
They're not an expensive part but i'd be going aftermarket anyway.

go fast
03-10-2012, 04:29 PM
im looking at some springs same O/D and I/D as well as free standing length as mine,i have no way of doing a pressure test on mine, the ones i am looking at pressure is 95lb@1.750" they are for a 304, they are the same measurements as mine,would anybody know if that pressure would be ok,the cam im running is just a standard cam as far as i know.