I use Autosol Chrome Polisher I found it to be an excellent chrome cleaner
Anybody else tried it?
For more info about Autosol products:
http://www.autosol.com.au/metalpolishes.htm
http://www.autosol.com.au/images/1000%20metapolishbox.jpg

http://www.autosol.com.au/images/products.jpg

white_lie
05-03-2004, 04:41 AM
I've used it years ago, but haven't really had to use it lately...
I didn't think it was good for chrome as it gradually wears the finish away... Could be wrong though :shock:

GTS215
09-03-2004, 01:07 PM
ive used it and given it to my mate to use on his motor bike, its not bad, but it is very strong and may be to heavy for its own good. I wouldnt use it again unless i need a strong tough polish then it would ideal.

CoupeMann
01-04-2004, 05:37 PM
I read that you should only use a sponge and car wash liquid to clean your alloys and chrome bits, using a polish could and will eventually damage your chrome and alloys.

This is what Boyd Coddington said quote:
Boyd Coddington wheels are polished, only soap and water is needed to clean your wheels. Do not use any chemical based cleaners as they can damage the polish.

www.billetwheel.com

white_lie
03-04-2004, 04:38 PM
Polished rims usually have a clear coat on them to stop them rusting. If you start using an abrasive cleaner, it will remove the clear coat and then you'll get rust....

I don't usually find the need to polish my rims as such. They usually come up pretty good with a wash. Only water marks on chrome rims could be a problem, but I'd use something light like Maguiar's Metal polish.

Andrew5
03-04-2004, 06:31 PM
never used the product, i clean the wheels by pulling off the car so i can do the back ofthe wheels and the calliper and just use soap and water :P

SirHSV
03-04-2004, 07:29 PM
How often do you rip the wheels off to clean the backs monthly?
or everytime you clean the car?

Andrew5
03-04-2004, 07:44 PM
everytime i polish every two months :P

Milenko
17-06-2004, 07:15 AM
Autosol products are great for Rims or Chrome that have rust spots or water stains.
The product is VERY abbrasive however and you will eventually end up with swirl marks in your sexy little shiny bits.

I had an '82 hilux with Aluminium bullbar and Autosol was great. It really brought it back to a nice shine. Like someone up there said tho ^^, your better off using your warm soapy water and using a Chamois to wipe off the excess.

I personally use the warm water method. Works a treat if your willing to put some elbow grease in.

joshem
16-07-2004, 12:57 PM
Go to autobahn and try Autoglym chrome polish, it's better. It's not as abrasive and last longer.

Homer
14-12-2004, 12:01 AM
never used the product, i clean the wheels by pulling off the car so i can do the back ofthe wheels and the calliper and just use soap and water :P

So glad to see someone else with this 'condition'. I get some strange looks from neighbours - but unless you get rid of all the dust etc from inside the rims, you don't see the full depth of the wheel.

HRDHSV
04-01-2007, 12:07 PM
yep have to say autosol liquid polish in d bottle is the best i've used ever!

Niteshadow
22-06-2007, 07:55 PM
I've always used Autosol for giving the exhaust tip a good polishing up.
Really looks good after removing all the carbon.

Niteshadow

The Black Mistress
23-06-2007, 01:48 PM
I restored an AP5 Valiant 15 years ago and the guy that did my chrome said to just keep it clean and the more you wash it with water and a sponge and dry it properly, the longer it will last without tarnishing or pitting.
He also said only use a polisher as a last resort to restore the shine, but if it gets to that, that means you haven't washed it often enough to get rid of the crap that eventualy eats into the chrome.
This advice works for me.

Talking of polishing, I have a crystal glaze treatment on my car. Have had it for 6 months. What's the story with maintenance. Can I still apply a polish or wax on it? How about swirl remover (clay). The information pack says don't touch it and to bring it back to them once a year.
Has anyone got experience on it?
Thanks