PDA

View Full Version : Torquing Wheel Nuts.

Stewiecasserole
21-07-2012, 12:18 PM
What would be the torque numbers for wheel nuts on a WM Whale?

dgp
21-07-2012, 12:54 PM
150 - 170NM for the VE series

Stewiecasserole
21-07-2012, 01:24 PM
Thanks dpg. Speaking to Richo he feels this is way way too high. And would threaten rotor trueness. Plus would need a gorilla to undo them on the side of the road. Any thoughts?
Feel free to chip in Sniper and Macca.

Strick
21-07-2012, 01:53 PM
Also please discuss VZ, always been interested in this!

Stewiecasserole
21-07-2012, 02:24 PM
Richo said the VZ was 100-120.

adr8
21-07-2012, 02:38 PM
Also interested in this topic, would a two piece rotor alleviate above said problem or make no difference?

richo7502000
21-07-2012, 02:43 PM
VT-VZ is "officially" 120 Nm of torque and the VE is "officially" 170 Nm of torque in Holdens maintenance manuals, however I have read a few reports through Disc rotor places and other mechanical places that both the VT-VZ and VE figures are a bit high and this can lead to warping of the cars disc rotors.
Apparently, the way this happens is that the high torque puts a twist onto the rotor at the point it bolts up (ie at the wheel stud mount holes) and can over time and heating/cooling cycles lead to warped rotors.
Most places recommend dropping the torque approx 20 Nm to avoid this occuring,which is still bloody tight.

**ALWAYS REMEMBER to cross torque your wheels in a star pattern, DO NOT start at a point and do up the next nut etc, this will not correctly tighten your wheel (stating the obvious for lots of you, but may be a tip for those not aware) **

One BIG problem is on VT-VZ at least, IF you do tighten the wheels to 120NM, just try using the factory fitted wheel nut breaker bar in your jacking tool kit, you will split the Socket on it before you come anywhere close to undoing the wheel!!!!
Not quite sure of the tool kit fitted to the VE, but at 170NM you would just about need a 2 foot bar on a wheel brace to undo your wheels.
Hope this may be of assistance to any of ya?

For 'the record' I do mine up with a wheel brace as tight as I possibly can ( tried with torque wrench after one day and was about 90-95 Nm) and i have never had a wheel come loose or other issues.

richo7502000
21-07-2012, 02:46 PM
Also interested in this topic, would a two piece rotor alleviate above said problem or make no difference?

Yes to a point a 2 piece rotor will, because there isnt the same mechanical connection between the flange and the disc rotor, if you note a 2 piece rotor has many nuts holding disc to the flange, not just the 5 wheel nuts and a solid chunk of metal that a solid disc has!

adr8
21-07-2012, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the info Richo and Stew. I had a puncture a few months ago and had no trouble getting the wheel off with the factory fitted nut breaker, but from now on will be careful not to overtighten the wheel nuts.

Stewiecasserole
21-07-2012, 03:01 PM
Trying to work out how to mess my own technical thread up with some random humor but having great difficulty. This is a first for me......plus it's the first technical thread of sorts I've started I think. What's the world coming too?

richo7502000
21-07-2012, 03:07 PM
Trying to work out how to mess my own technical thread up with some random humor but having great difficulty. This is a first for me......plus it's the first technical thread of sorts I've started I think. What's the world coming too?

Yeah I actually had thought this was a bit "mature" for you stewie!!! You must be gettin old dude!!

Not sure your getting more technical though, wouldnt be the first tight set of nuts you have had to deal with im sure!

Stewiecasserole
21-07-2012, 03:14 PM
Could be old age richo. Very I uncharacteristic I must admit.
I'd say your nuts were the tightest I've come across but that would imply you actually had a set.

d488y2
21-07-2012, 03:34 PM
Maybe all that Subsonic Doof Doof has some how changed your thought pattern???

I like to keep my nuts tight and check them regularly with my wheel wench.

dgp
21-07-2012, 07:45 PM
Guys i always do the VZ Clubsport wheel nuts at 115nm and the VE SS's at 155nm.
I do carry a proper socket, extension and breaker bar though.
On my VZ and VE's I nip them up with a socket in a star pattern whilst off the ground, then drop them on the ground and go over them twice with the correct torque value.
I rotate my tyres every 5,000km's and have just done 90,000km's in the Sportwagon and not had an issue with the rotors.
I have had the wheels off the Clubsport more times than i care to think but i don't do many k's in it, never had a problem with rotor warp either.

white_lie
21-07-2012, 07:51 PM
I go to 100Nm but it still doesn't feel very tight IMO. Do them up with a 1/2" drive torque wrench and carry a pretty long breaker bar (as well as a full 1/2" drive socket set). The factory tyre wrench has never fitted in any of the aftermarket wheels I've owned so it's usually the first thing to go.

senta
23-07-2012, 05:57 PM
i wondered where they got that look from...
http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd446/brei555/vnwheel.jpg

Stewiecasserole
23-07-2012, 08:36 PM
i wondered where they got that look from...
http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd446/brei555/vnwheel.jpg

LMFAO....extreme camber reaches down under.
http://www.modified.tv/addons/albums/images/141567154.jpg

senta
24-07-2012, 09:43 PM
apparantly this iiis the required setting
http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd446/brei555/Child-labour___-put-some-elbow-918.jpg
....but seriously ya dont want your wheel to overtake you going uphill- screwed my wheel off, couple of lose nuts happy foot and too much weight in the boot !!!!