PDA

View Full Version : LS2 Motor?

SirHSV
13-02-2004, 12:13 PM
Hi all,
Question: I've heard rumours of the next V8 engine to be called the LS2 is this true? Or have I got the wrong info,,,its supposed to rock toooo..????

HMMM? :?

ozemuscle1
22-04-2004, 01:07 AM
i posted this in another forum, but here it is again.
the LS2, otherwise known as the Gen4, is the next evolution of the family of all alloy small block V8s with the prefix LS-. it is more powerful, more efficient than the Gen3/LS1, and features Displacement On Demand. it will be introduced to Australia with the VE Commodore in 2006.

GTS
13-06-2004, 04:51 PM
I can add that the GenIV will have variable valve timing, acheived by fitting 2 camshafts one above the other in the valley. One is used for inlet and the other for exhaust timing. I've never heard of this being done before but it seems like a good way to go. It saves a lot of weight, space and cost over the OHC option without really losing anything.

-HSV-
14-06-2004, 04:41 AM
i read about the DOD a long time ago and think that its a great idea.

will the genIV be a pushrod engine like the genIII?

GTS
15-06-2004, 07:37 PM
The GenIV will be push rod. Its a lot smaller, cheaper and lighter than OHC and in everything short of F1 racing it doesn't really lose out. The advantages of OHC are predominately two things. 1/ Lighter valve train allowing higher rev's / softer valve springs before valve bounce sets in, and 2/ freer design for the ports because they don't have to be shaped around the push rods. GenIII fixed that problem by designing the ports first, and then fitting the push rods around them.

-HSV-
20-06-2004, 09:58 AM
sound like a lot of time has been put into the engine, cant wait til it arrives :D

ozemuscle1
17-10-2004, 02:04 AM
sound like a lot of time has been put into the engine, cant wait til it arrives :Djust a point on the new release, it seems the DOD technology has been reserved for future american use, and possibly future australian use, if we're lucky.