PDA

View Full Version : VT Body Control Module

cookie
13-02-2004, 10:24 AM
Can someone please tell me where to find the Body Control Module in a VT Commodore?
I'm told mine's faulty but want to try testing it myself, if I can find it.
If someone can confirm that frequent but eratic failure to start, as well as the headlights not switching off automatically, and the driver's window not going down automatically, means the BCM is faulty, that would also be really helpful!

Thanks

David.

preid
13-02-2004, 11:18 AM
David,
I can't answer all your questions, but I owned a VTII until recently, and the frequent and eratic starts were common for me and were due to a faulty ignition key.
The engine would start and run for less than a second and then just stop.
Try your other key if you have one or you may be up for another.

Hope this helps.

HRT Stroker
03-05-2004, 09:16 PM
The Body Control Module is located under the dash, behind the fuse panel. Not hard to find or replace....HOWEVER.

Before replacing any of the modules in your cars system you must check your earth points!! 95 percent of your cars systems rely on earthing to the body to complete a cicruit - poor earth is often the culprit for problems that often have ALOT of money thrown at them only to find a low cost battery cable or corroded earth was the problem!!!!

The main earth point is behind the battery on the inner guard wall. Remove your battery and un - do the connections and clean clean clean!!

Then do the same to your battery terminals and the main earth on the engine (on the block beside the power steering pump resevoir). There is another one on the strut tower near the fusr box as well.

remove and refit all underbonnet fuses and relays (with the battery disconnected) and reinstall everything, connecting the battery last.

As previously suggested using your spare key start and run the car to see if its any better.

Take the car to a Holden dealer and get tech 2 plugged into it to test the BCM if problem still exists.

I had diagnostic issues with my stroker and Holden said it was either the BCM or SRS module, cleaned all the earth points and installed a new negative battery lead ($120 fitted) and problem solved.

This is a common problem with cars that have the engine steam cleaned, either by the owner or from a car yard when detailed.......

Hope this helps,

HRT Stroker