PDA

View Full Version : Fuel tank question

LeClub81
06-06-2012, 01:09 PM
Hi guys
I got bored the other day and decided to remove my fuel tank and respray it. While it was out i was curious to find out what kind of fuel pump i had in there as ive only had this vehicle for about 10 months.
So in a nut shell the car Vr Gts has 230rwkw and was thinking of upgrading the fuel pump as i am going to do a bit more work to get around the 280 rwkw but i dont know if it has already or not and was wondering if you guys by the pics could tell what fuel pump it has. Cheers
38113812:-)

white_lie
06-06-2012, 04:53 PM
A factory one?
Just upgrade it to an intank Walbro one like the GSS342

LeClub81
06-06-2012, 07:29 PM
Thats what im trying to figure out cause the guy i bought it off spent a lot of money on the car and so i dont wanna rip it out if its a high performance fuel pump.
Would that walbro be on par with the bosch 040?

white_lie
06-06-2012, 07:56 PM
Yes, the 040 flows 300L/hr, the Walbro 255L/hr.
Either would be enough for around the 400-450rwhp mark (300-335rwkW).

What are you planning to do in order to make 280rwkW?

07GTS
06-06-2012, 08:07 PM
i cant say 100% but i sell the genuine pump all the time and none of them have the pink colour on them so it could be an aftermarket standard or performance pump, they usually have some sort of identifacation if u take the rubber bit off it might have a brand or numbers on the side of it...

LeClub81
07-06-2012, 01:45 AM
Great! Thanks for that white_lie
Well that was going to be another question but since you asked i midas well ask now :)
I dont know which way to go to get to 280rwkw its already got a ceramic coated exhaust, pacemaker extractors, 286 cam, starr manifold, starr air intake with 90mm throttle body, ported heads etc...i was thinking of some head work and a proper tune as its only had a mild tune with cam chipset but must admit it runs really nice. What do you think? Any ideas bud?

LeClub81
07-06-2012, 01:48 AM
they usually have some sort of identifacation if u take the rubber bit off it might have a brand or numbers on the side of it...

Hi Gts i tried to take the sock off but it started ripping a little. Are the sock bits replaceable? if they are ill take it off cheers

white_lie
07-06-2012, 01:00 PM
Great! Thanks for that white_lie
Well that was going to be another question but since you asked i midas well ask now :)
I dont know which way to go to get to 280rwkw its already got a ceramic coated exhaust, pacemaker extractors, 286 cam, starr manifold, starr air intake with 90mm throttle body, ported heads etc...i was thinking of some head work and a proper tune as its only had a mild tune with cam chipset but must admit it runs really nice. What do you think? Any ideas bud?

If its already got ported heads, what sort of head work were you planning on doing?
What is the car used for? You could pick up a little more changing to a solid cam, different manifold etc but if the car sees daily duties it's not exactly ideal. Would be close to the limits of NA power IMO, you would be better off looking at some form of forced induction but the 286 isn't particularly ideal so everything starts getting quite expensive rather quickly!

LeClub81
07-06-2012, 02:32 PM
but the 286 isn't particularly ideal so everything starts getting quite expensive rather quickly!
Whats wrong with the 286? too small?

To be honest im not that tech savvy, i thought head work was when you shaved the heads and raise the compression:confused: The car gets driven maybe once a month even longer in winter. I know i could get a twin throttle manifold but i love how the starr looks like a stock manifold. What are the advantages of a solid cam? Would a supercharger just bolt on? I also have yella terra rockers, fully adjustable suspension and AP racing 4 spot slotted at the front. Once agian thanks for the help

white_lie
07-06-2012, 04:49 PM
It's not so much the size, but the specs of the cam.
It's more suited to NA power than boost, so the amount of duration or overlap in the camshaft usually sees a lot of boost sneaking out the exhaust instead of packing in to the cylinder. This of course means less usable air which equates to less power.

A solid camshaft can generally be bigger and have a steeper ramp rate. So the power will come on a lot sharper. But as the lifters are solid items rather than hydraulic, it requires a bit more maintenance. Pre-load should be checked every 5,000kms or so and you need adjustable rockers to be able to set them up.

Depending on the type of blower you look at, but most kits these days will bolt straight up. I'm a big fan of top mount set ups and Yella Terra's Whipple kit is the best thing out there for the Holden based motors IMO. The kit should be a straight forward fitment, but like I said about the 286, it would be more beneficial to change it to something that is designed to work with boost.

With the headwork, yes, you are correct in saying you can shave them to bump up the compression but if they've already been ported it's quite possible they've already had this done.

07GTS
07-06-2012, 07:43 PM
Hi Gts i tried to take the sock off but it started ripping a little. Are the sock bits replaceable? if they are ill take it off cheers havnt tryed to get the sock bit alone they usualy come with the pump, if u have the pump out u can hook up some hoses n some fuel and run the pump for a set time the multiply the time and litres pumped to get ur litres/hour and that will tell u if its a performance pump, if u do tho never run the pump dry it can melt together in as little as 1-2mins even keep it in the fuel to help cool it...

LeClub81
11-06-2012, 08:11 PM
Hey guys been pretty busy but ended up getting the wallbro gss 341 or 2 and have installed that. Changed the fuel filter and all hoses and will be installing tank in the next few days. ill let u know how it goes. Once agian thanks for all your help guys. Ill put up some pics soon