PDA

View Full Version : Buffing pad help

Jetterberg
03-06-2012, 05:36 PM
Hey ppl,been polishing my parents forester using the das6 polisher for the first time,using it as a test run before I get to the maloo,great machine has come up looking real good...Only problem I have is that my pads I am using have split around where the Velcro part is,now which are no good,it's the first time I have used the pads.....
I'm not sure but the pads are supposed to last more than one polish arnt they??

Any ideas why they have split?what pads do u recommend?

Cheers Daniel

hsv.286
03-06-2012, 06:23 PM
Hay mate,I use the festool pads and havnt had any probs and have lasted a year so far touch wood! Perhaps it mite be a combination of too much pressure and rpm combined maybe..?? I don't run it higher then 5.. Cheers.:)

white_lie
03-06-2012, 06:28 PM
What pads did you get with the kit?
I also use the Festool ones and they're great. The cheaper ones won't last as long but more than one application!
Have all the pads done it or just a couple?
I would also put it down to excessive pressure, I only really use the weight of the machine.

Speak to the guys at CCP, they might replace them, suggest how to fix them or at least throw you a discount on some replacements.

Jetterberg
03-06-2012, 07:09 PM
Cheers for the replies....I got the mint pro tool pads with the kit,i used all 4 pads and they all done it...I thought it might have been pressure and speed but i used speed 3 on the final polish and just let the machine do the work and it still tore around the velcro......they still done a good job though.

Was going to give them a buzz tomorrow and see what they can do,i want to do the Maloo on the long wknd so i will be ordering some more,ill have to give the festool pads ago......

dgp
03-06-2012, 09:36 PM
I have the Lake Country pads with my kit and they are great too.
Maybe your pads came from a dud batch.

On a related note, how does everyone clean their pads and can you use one pad for different polish steps?

Jetterberg
03-06-2012, 09:46 PM
Yeah that could be the case......
I just soaked them in a bucket overnight with some microfibre wash and they come up good,also interested how other's clean theirs.....I got through each stage only using the one pad.

dgp
03-06-2012, 10:29 PM
Yeah i normally only use one pad for each stage but wonder if i can use the same pad with a different compound. I guess there is no issue as long as they have been washed.

Here is another conundrum. I used my final finish pad for Nu-Glass to spruce up the screen, can this be washed then used for polish? Sorry, i don't mean to hi-jack you thread.

white_lie
03-06-2012, 10:40 PM
I just soak them in a bucket of water with MWash till I'm finished and then rinse them all out and allow to dry overnight before putting them away.

If I need to use a pad twice, I'll wash it out really well, wring it out to get as much water out as possible, then put it on the buffer and run it on high speed to throw any left over water out of it. Ends up dry enough to use it again straight away. Just do it away from the car or you'll flick water all over it.

The Menzerna polishes are all water based so they wash out very easily. Not sure how you'd do with an oil based product, might need some more detergent to break it down.

Jetterberg
03-06-2012, 10:47 PM
Thats ok mate..I guess it depends on how your paint work is,if it's bad, scratches swirl marks etc you will need the more aggressive pad,and you wouldn't want to use that on the final polish I wouldn't think....
did u use the polisher on the windscreen??

This was my first machine polish so I'm sure the blokes above should be able to help you out more.

dgp
04-06-2012, 01:23 PM
[QUOTE=Jetterberg;88740]did u use the polisher on the windscreen??QUOTE]

Yep, i just put the compound on the screen, spread it around with the pad, then turned on the Das6 increasing speed as i went. It worked really well.

Jetterberg
04-06-2012, 09:38 PM
Oh ok cool, i wouldn't even thought of using it on the windscreen

benyoman_27
04-06-2012, 09:44 PM
Hey Jetter I have a black sv6 for you to try on before I sell her tommorrow mate, she needs a good polish. :-)

Jetterberg
04-06-2012, 09:54 PM
U no where I live bud,carton of rum:D.......the olds forester came up sweet ay

benyoman_27
04-06-2012, 10:02 PM
Fuk off, you give me a carton of Jack for me lettin you do my car mate :-) lol an yeah I saw your before an after pics of the Forster mate, she looks heaps heaps nice mate, be good to see the maloo done for the weekend ay.

Cheers

Jetterberg
04-06-2012, 10:14 PM
Haha pleeease......yeah that's plan benji

Bludog
05-06-2012, 07:00 PM
With the weather that's coming i'm not sure i'll get mine done this weekend but here's hoping. Ended up with the flu last weekend so didn't get it done. Been busting my clacker to get into it....lol

Jetterberg
06-06-2012, 03:56 PM
Got my new pads today:D,ordered the festool 4 pack.......so hopefully get started on the Maloo tomorrow arvo.....can't wait,
never thought i would get so excited about car products lol

Have to give a wrap to the guys at Car Care Products, great service,got a small discount and free shipping.......